What the Music in Portsmouth website is all about
Music in Portsmouth (MiP) has been set up to help amateur and professional classical musical groups in the Portsmouth area to promote their own and other groups’ concerts and to help avoid date clashes with other groups.
You can filter the concert listings by type of concert (e.g. “Choral”, “Instrumental”, etc.) and print a schedule for yourself. If you are creating a programme for your next concert, you can easily copy and paste a selection of future events by other groups in the area into your programme. Artwork is available here.
Each month we email out a full listing of the forthcoming concerts in the area to individual subscribers. We also send it to media contacts and other organisations such as libraries, civic offices, other musical groups and tourist information offices so that the listings of what is on in the area will be displayed to the public.
A noticeboard provides news about performers and performances, previews and reviews. Items can be filtered by type of item. Subscribers are encouraged to submit content and images. There are links to performer/ concert pages on MiP as well as external websites.
There’s a long-term diary which lists concerts into the next couple of years. Its principal purpose is to avoid clashes of repertoire and it is available to subscribers and non- subscribers alike.
Our aims for MiP are to:
Help publicise the performances of our member groups
Publicity can be expensive, so it is important to know that it is well targeted. It is likely that the people who come to one concert will be interested in other concerts in the same area. The MiP listings will be an effective means of publicity for all.
Prevent clashes of concert dates
When you are planning the dates of your future concerts, it can be very useful to know whether other concerts of a similar nature are being planned in the area around the same time.
If you are a classical musical group performing in or around Portsmouth (including Fareham, Petersfield, Chichester, Havant and Hayling Island) and you want to join MiP, it’s easy. There will be no subscription for 2021, given the challenges we all face.
These are the benefits that you will receive:
- We will update the MiP website with content relating to your own group, following your instructions but also also using content available on your website and social media channels.
- You can publish news, concert previews and news via the noticeboard.
- You will receive a monthly email of the listings of all the MiP member groups for the next 1-2 months. Media contacts and other organisations such as libraries, civic offices and tourist information offices also receive this email.
- You will also receive a monthly email of the most recent Noticeboard items.
- We will maintain the long-term diary for you. This lists concerts into the next couple of years and is essential for planning and for avoiding clashes.
- We will encourage all groups to put a reference to the website in their concert programmes, thereby promoting each others’ concerts.
- The MiP website will drive traffic to your websites, thereby improving your search engine optimisation.
- We use Twitter and Instagram to support all these activities.
We are adding new performers all the time.
To find out more, please call me on 01243 379724 or click here to send me a message.
Here you can read a profile of Music in Portsmouth (PDF).