I am doing some research on virtual rehearsals on behalf of vocal and instrumental groups in my area. If you already rehearse virtually or have plans to do so, your input would be most gratefully received.
The findings will be published (without mentioning names) on the Noticeboard, for the benefit of all singers and instrumental musicians.
1. What is your group size?
2. Which channel(s) will/do you use (Zoom, Facebook Live, a combination, etc.)?
3. What is the reason for your choice of channel(s)?
4. Do you/will you rehearse in sections or as a whole group?
5. What are the numbers of people that you (will) rehearse with in one session? Have you encountered limitations on the maximum number of people? Please explain why, if you like.
The remainder of the questions assumes that you already have experience of such sessions.
6. How often do you meet for virtual rehearsals?
7. How long do the sessions last?
8. How much time do you allow for breaks, if at all?
9. Do you combine singing/playing sessions with social sessions?
10. What % take-up of your total group have you experienced?
11. What have been the barriers to people getting involved that you have encountered? Access to PCs, etc? The “fear factor”? The limitations of the technology?
12. What do you feel works to keep people “onside”?
13. Are the sessions led by the MD, by another key individual or by individuals working with each other as colleagues, or a mix of these?
14. Do you record the sessions? What do you do with the recordings?
15. Broadly, what works and what (if anything) doesn’t?
16. In these sessions, do you work specifically on vocal or instrumental technique?
17. What else do you focus on?
18. Are you working towards producing performances of complete works as the result of doing virtual rehearsals?
19. Will these be made for public consumption?
20. If so, are you going to use video or just audio?
Please add any other relevant comments or questions. Thank you!