The Assembly Room, Chichester

The Council House is a Grade II listed building steeped in history in the heart of Chichester City Centre.

The Assembly Room and Ante Room were added to the Council House between 1781-1783. It is one of four rooms for hire in this building, which include the Old Court Room.

The Assembly Room was built by Thomas Andrews, a local builder, to the design of James Wyatt. It is designed as a double cube with an apse at the east end with four fireplaces, two on each side, each with a niche above. The room was opened in October 1783 and remains one of the few eighteenth-century assembly rooms in the country still used as a place for meetings and concerts.

The Assembly Room (c.1782) is on the first floor of the building and has the benefit of a stage which can be used for concerts, etc.

The room has a wooden floor with four fireplaces (not in use) with niches over the mantels which are individually lit. It is one of the few eighteenth-century assembly rooms in the country that is still used for meetings and concerts.

The room capacity is 180 persons seated or 120 persons seated plus tables (e.g. Wedding Receptions).

The room is suitable for Wedding Receptions, Concerts, Conferences, Fairs, Exhibitions, etc. It is accessed by the main staircase and a lift is available.

There’s a kitchen preparation area (no appliances), a serving hatch and catering-level power sockets.

There’s an upright piano.

The venue is licensed for sales of alcohol and has a a license to play live or recorded music.

Venue Details
Venue Map